Bikini Bites: Tacos & Margaritas!
With Cinco De Mayo approaching in just a few days, it’s no wonder Katrina and I have been in the mood for some south of the border flavor! We’re missing our girls trip to Cabo (pic above!)
Traditionally, Mexican food is bright, fresh, spicy and perfect to enjoy on a warm day, but depending on how you mix it up, it’s not always the best option for that bikini body. Not to worry…we’ve got you covered with Tone It Up approved tacos & margaritas along with some great pointers to use next time you’re eating at a Mexican restaurant.
Bikini Bite Tacos
These are vegan, gluten free, light and super satisfying. One bite and you’ll be shouting, Olé!
- 3 Tbs of grapeseed oil
- 3 cups of cooked quinoa*
- 3 1/2 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, diced + more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning*
- Head of iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Your Favorite Salsa. We love Pico De Gallo and Corn Salsa
- Sliced Avocados
- Lime Wedges
- Crushed Cashews
Separate the lettuce leaves, wash thoroughly and allow to dry.
Heat oil in a pan for a few minutes on medium heat before adding mushrooms. Allow to cook for 7-10 minutes until they become soft. Add cooked quinoa, taco seasoning and cilantro, and mix thoroughly as you continue to cook for a few minutes.
*If you want extra protein, you can add either chicken, shrimp, fish, black beans, tofu or tempeh to the mix. If you like, top with a small scoop of greek yogurt instead of sour cream!!
Spoon a bit of the taco “meat” into each lettuce cup, top with desired sides and serve.
Beach Babe Margarita
Making healthy cocktails is about using natural, high quality ingredients and skipping the pre-made mixers! This Tone It Up approved Beach Babe Margarita is refreshing and perfect for celebrating.
- 2 limes, freshly juiced
- 2 oz of tequila
- stevia or a touch of agave for sweetness
- sea salt for the rim ~ optional
- lime wedge for garnish
Shake all ingredients and pour over ice or blend it up! Serve in your favorite glass. If desired, rim your margarita glass with coarse sea salt. Take a lime wedge around the edge of the glass, then dip the rim in a plate of salt. Garnish with a lime wedge. Cheers, babe!
BEACH BABE TIP :) Treat yourself to no more than one or two margaritas while getting summer-ready. Be sure to also drink a glass of water in between each cocktail to ensure you feel fabulous for that BootyCall the next morning!
Karena and I live close to a little Mexican restaurant in town, and when we’re busy working late, it’s the only place open to order food from! If you keep a few of the following guidelines in mind, it’s easy to keep it Lean, Clean & Green while enjoying the Mexican flavors.
Dining out? Here’s what to order:
- Say no to chips, cheese and sour cream. Every Mexican restaurant we’ve been to is actually quite accommodating, so don’t be shy! If you’re sitting down to eat with friends, ask your server to bring you sliced, raw bell peppers to dip in salsa instead of chips!
- Regardless of what you order, ask for extra veggies, lettuce and black beans instead of rice, tortillas and cheese. Fajitas are often a good option!
- Order À la carte ~ Go for chicken, grilled fish, shrimp or steamed veggies and pair it with black beans, salsa and just a touch of guacamole! BONUS: this is also a budget friendly option!
If you’re celebrating, we challenge you to one extra mile during your workout either Saturday or Sunday! That’s right… add that mile to your BootyCall or take a break in your day to fit it in. You won’t regret it, we promise :)
These Tone It Up Nutrition Plan approved Tacos & Margaritas pair perfectly well with good friends and sunny days!
Looking for more amazing recipes? We love the Enchiladas con Mole from your Tone It Up Nutrition Plan. They’re vegan, gluten free and deliciously satisfying!
The Tone It Up Nutrition Plan teaches you how to fuel your body to get & stay lean…it’s the perfect way to prepare for summer and feel amazing in that bikini! Learn more about the plan here!
Here’s a fun video Karena & I filmed a few years ago at a local Mexican restaurant in town! Blast from the past…