Travel Workouts & Healthy Vacay Tips…
Tone It Up Travel Workout & Tips to Stay Healthy on Vacation!
As Karena and I flew to NYC yesterday, we started thinking about what to post for Tone It Up Tuesday! We went back and forth with a bunch of ideas, but then decided to take a break to talk about our plans for the next couple days in the city.
We planned our workouts, decided which of our favorite healthy spots we’d have lunch at, and then mapped where we to do our morning runs… and it dawned on us! We should do a healthy travel post. So many of you have asked us questions on Instagram, Facebook and in the Community about staying on track. We 100% understand! A lot of you travel for work or you’ve been going on trips this summer for family outings and weddings.
The good news is… we created every routine on ToneItUp.com and on your Beach Babe DVD Program so you can do them anywhere, anytime! Aside from a few routines that include a ball or kettlebell, you can Tone It Up wherever you are. We see a ton of you in the gym with your printable routines too! We LOVE that :)
If you follow us on Instagram, on our personal account, @KarenaKatrina, you may have seen that we were just in France for the Cannes Lions Festival. We partnered with Google and YouTube to teach a bootcamp to the attendees. It was so amazing to be part of such a creative and inspiring event… BUT we traveled 14 hours to go there for 2 nights! So, Karena and I decided to cushion our trips with a 5 day getaway with Brian and Bobby. Karena and Bobby explored Venice and Croatia, while Brian and I ventured to Greece.
I haven’t been on a trip with Brian since our honeymoon, so it was really nice :) We work most weekends too, so it felt strange not to be on my computer for 5 days. Even on vacation, I still had the itch to film a workout video, the scenery was too beautiful not to. Brian filmed me doing our quick workout in Santorini.
These are my favorite moves to do when I don’t have any equipment.
On top of this, we were really active on our trip. We went swimming, hiking and we walked everywhere!
Here’s the routine I did in Santorini … once you complete it, check-in with us with the hashtag #TIUtravelworkout!
Download your printable HERE! Just Right Click and select “Save Link As…”
The other big questions we get are… where do we find the motivation while traveling for workouts, how do we stay healthy, what foods do we choose and how much do we indulge in celebratory cocktails and treats…
Our TOP 5 Tips for Staying Healthy While Traveling!
1. Always prepare ahead of time! Pack your sneakers, workout gear, headphones and bring your Tone It Up workouts ~ and your Beach Babe A GAME! :) Research where you’re going. Are there fun places to explore outside? Are there any studios in town that you’ve been wanting to try? Try connecting with a TIU girl in the area and ask for suggestions! Look up #TIUcity on Instagram, or find your destination in the TIU Community!
2. Beat jet lag! One of the best ways to overcome jet lag is to wake up and workout. It’s easy to skip a workout after traveling for hours and you’re tired, but just think about how much better you’ll feel once you get moving. Avoid telling yourself, “It’s 3 am in my brain, so I need sleep…” We’ve done that, and it just messes with us. Look outside, see the sun rising, remind yourself how lucky you are to travel to different places and get moving!
3. Choose total body toning routines & cardio! If we’re traveling and we know out of the 4 days there are 2 full travel days, we’ll squeeze in total body, HIIT or a combo of our favorite toning routines before meetings. If we know we’ll have a full travel day the next day, we’ll go heavier on kettlebell training and HIIT so the travel day counts as a recovery day! See below for some of our travel workout suggestions :)
4. Choose healthy restaurants while traveling! Research the area to scope out the tastiest and healthiest eats, and ask a local TIU girl for input too! No matter where Karena or I are, we always choose Lean, Clean and Green and follow the guidelines of the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan!
5. Red, Red Wine… stay close to me ;) This is something we get asked a lot. As many of you know, we’re not the trainers to tell you that you can’t do something like have champagne at your friends wedding, a glass of wine with your girlfriends or a drink with your babe on the weekend. We want to live a balanced life, and this means not sacrificing the things we love, like pairing food with good wine, relaxing with some bubbly and celebrating others’ at birthdays, bachelorette parties or date nights… and we don’t want you to either. We just have a few ‘winenot rules’ to follow…
#1 is to hydrate ALL DAY! It’s so important to be well hydrated before you have a cocktail. One to two times a week, we’ll have one to two glasses of wine. Sometimes we’ll split the wine in half with soda water to make a summer spritzer. When we’re on vacation things are a little different and we generally have a few drinks a day (maybe one by the pool and a couple at dinner or vice versa), BUT we alternate each cocktail with water and non-alcoholic beverages. It’s just as nice to be at the pool with a fresh juice or a virgin piña colada! Hydration really is the most important part for us… and of course sticking to the Tone It Up Nutrition Program guidelines we put together for you and ourselves! This way we wake up refreshed and able to workout and enjoy every moment, whether it’s work or vacation time. Another rule we have is if we went on a 5 day trip and indulged in dessert and some drinks, we take equal time off from any treats when we get back to help reset our bodies and get back into our groove. It’s all about balance!
*** Something to keep in mind… drinking wine or cocktails is a personal choice and if you do like to enjoy the occasional bubbly, drink to enjoy it, not to get totally smashed ~ even though that can happen to the best of us ;) The same goes for food too~ eat to enjoy it, not to stuff yourself. Enjoy every sip and bite, because life is meant to be enjoyed.
♥ If you don’t like cocktails, choose whatever drink you prefer! Sometimes we ask for soda water with lime & whatever fruit they have at the restaurant (pineapple, watermelon, cherries). Don’t be afraid to ask! I was a cocktail waitress all through college at a place called Margaritas! I loved getting requests and creating fun virgin mixers for people, especially my peers who were in the exercise science program with me. A lot of us had to be up so early to open the gym on campus and it forced us to get creative with our ‘mocktails’ :) We also totally understand the social aspect of enjoying a pretty glass of something delicious while spending time with others. My favorite blended drink to make with the bartender was frozen strawberries, bruised mint, plenty of fresh lime, water, a splash of pineapple juice and a little salt on the rim.
Here are our favorite travel routines!! Remember, most TIU workouts can be done anywhere!
- Sunrise Routine
- Beach Babe DVD ~ Total Bombshell
- Karena’s 7 Minute HIIT
- The Mermaid Workout
- Bikini Yoga Flow
We hope this helps with all of your travels and upcoming vacations!! Especially with your summertime girltime and #winenotwednesdays ;) Let us know if you have any questions!
Oh, last but not least… Karena and I are working on something for the Tone It Up community!! We’re creating a place where you can go to see all of the top #TIUapproved places to workout and eat all around the world~ recommended by YOU, the #TIUteam!
Will you comment below with where you live (city, state) and your top 2 workout and meal suggestions? It can be a studio, something outdoors and any restaurants that you love!
See below for highlights from our adventures in Europe!
Have a great Tone It Up Tuesday,