Something we do DAILY
Guess what both Karena and I do every day?
Yes… you guessed it: we workout, drink smoothies, work at our computer and eat kale ;)… and the occational rosé, but there’s one more thing that’s the secret sauce to success and happiness. Meditation! We know what you’re thinking- just laying with your eyes closed in savasana… okay, maybe sometimes, but most of the time it’s actually in a different form. You probably meditate and don’t even realize it! It can be anything from running, yoga, hiking or even cleaning. If you watched our recent boxing video, you also saw that even boxing is extremely meditative!
According to a Stanford Study, 8 weeks of daily meditation lead to increased activity in the prefrontal cortex (which helps regulates emotions) which significantly decreased stress. Meditation also helps with decision making, optimism, self-confidence and lowers the stress hormone cortisol which helps decrease belly fat… bikini season anyone!?!! HELLO WIN-WIN!
Today we’re going to go through the simplest form of meditation. This way you can bring it to other aspects of your life!
To help get you started, we’re giving you a simple guide to meditation.
1. Find a quiet, comfortable place to sit. No distractions and no computers ;)
2. Decide on how long you want to meditate. It can be anywhere from 5-10 minutes, or even longer if you have it. Set a timer for the time you’ve decided on so you don’t keep glancing at a clock or wonder if time has passed too quickly. We also recommend mediation sounds or waves playing on your phone. (but keep your eyes off instagram, girl!)
3. Close your eyes and take three deep breaths. Fill your tummy with each breath, holding at the top of each for a count of 10, before exhaling slowly. Allow your breath to return to normal and start observing each breath. This is all you have to do. Focus your attention on your heart and truly feel what it’s like to simply be with yourself.
4. Be present and aware of whatever sensations come up and just let them wash over you. If there are noises around you, or feelings of restlessness coming up, just let them be. It’s best not to resist anything that comes up. Your mind may be racing non stop and that’s okay. Keep breathing and when you remember, bring your awareness back to your heart.
If your mind wanders, as it inevitably will, don’t judge yourself. This is part of the meditation. Gently and lovingly bring your attention back to your breath and to your heart. Continue this rhythm until the time is up!
5. Once the time is up, don’t get up right away. Turn off the timer (if you’re using one) and close your eyes. Take 3 deep breaths and open your eyes when it feels right. It’s sometimes nice to open your eyes and sit for a few minutes too.
Notice how much calmer you feel and take that feeling of calm awareness with you for the rest of the day!
You can bring this practice to whatever your personal favorite form of meditation is~ any escape you enjoy whether it’s cooking, swimming, yoga, running or even cleaning. Take that time for you and apply the above!
Comment below with how you meditate! What’s your favorite form?
Karena’s a guided meditation (you can download your choice from iTunes) on her porch or painting. I actually find myself meditating in the shower and in yoga. I also feel really centered and stress-free with any DIY or arts and crafts~ not even kidding! A lot of people are using fun coloring books now. I see them everywhere :)