Banana Chia Breakfast Muffins

Breakfast muffins just received a first class upgrade.

Coffee shop pastries have nothing on these fluffy, scrumptious breakfast treats. Lightly sweetened with dates and a touch of maple syrup, this recipe will make your tastebuds sing. Chia seeds create the ideal texture while giving you much-needed omega 3 fatty acids for sexy hair, healthy skin and bountiful energy!

These hearty muffins will fill you up without weighing you down. Make a batch for your next get-together or just keep them all to yourself for an easy, grab-and go breakfast all week. And YES! They’re completely Tone It Up Nutrition Plan approved for M1 or M2.

Banana Chia Breakfast Muffins

Makes 12 servings

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups of oat flour*
  • 8 dates, pitted
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/4 cup of maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 3 Tbs unsweetened cacao powder (for color!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt

*Make it yourself by pulsing whole oats in a blender, coffee grinder or food processor until the consistency of flour.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°  degrees.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cacao and chia seeds in a large bowl and set aside.

Pour boiling water on top of the dates to soften  — or place dates & water in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Add softened dates and hot water to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Add banana, beaten eggs, maple syrup, almond milk and coconut oil and continue to blend until well incorporated. Add wet ingredients to the the dry, a little at a time as you mix. Next, add the yogurt, but don’t over mix.

Pour batter into pre-sprayed muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes depending on size (we used standard size muffin molds). If you like, sprinkle additional chia seeds on top before baking. These babies will rise a good amount, so pour about 1/2 an inch from the top.

Once cooled, keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Listen to some booty shaking songs while you whip up these muffins!

Check out our NEW Love Your Body Music Playlist HERE!

Let us know when you make these delicious muffins by sharing your photos on Instagram! #TIULoveYourBody & #TIUTeam

Muffin Prep

Want more!? Join our Tone It Up Nutrition Plan and membership! We’ll show you exactly what to eat & when for the BEST results.

When you join, you also receive the Love Your Body EDITION that’s special to the plan! It’s full of Superfoods and recipes to love your body with! Members also receive newsletters every Thursday with exclusive recipes and tips!

***MEMBERS- PLEASE NOTE!  This is the Love Your Body Edition that comes as part of your downloads! If you have joined in the last year, you should have already received it when it released Jan ’14:)

love-your-body-nutrition-plan-edition-super-food-edition-2

toneitup-transformations-tiu-copy

Some of our amazing success stories~ Ariana, Kat, Katrina, Erin, Natalie & Grace!!

Learn everything you need to completely transform your body, build lean muscle and enjoy the healthy, energetic life you’re meant to be living!

Join-the-Tone-It-Up-Nutrition-Plan-toneitup

1. Acushla-Tara Sutton says:

These look amazing, quick question – how much chia? 1/2 a … TBSP, Cup?

1. Acushla-Tara Sutton says:

Fantastic, I’ll be whipping up a batch tomorrow!

2. Sarah says:

What can i substitute for dates? I can never find them here or they are SUPER expensive!

1. Katherine Thousand says:

Have you tried just a chain supermarket? I can usually get a container of pitted dates for just a few dollars. They are so good and totally worth the money <3

2. Angela Bull says:

I had dried figs. They pureed nice and theyre sweet so we’ll see!

3. Hey Sarah! I just saw a bag of chopped dates from Dole for $2.99 (I was at Wegmans, but Dole is definitely a national brand). I have always soaked and pitted full ones, but I wonder if soaking the chopped ones would work too (as long as they aren’t dried).

3. Guest says:

So this is approved for M1 or M2… But is it approved as the ENTIRE meal, or is it meant to have something like fruit or a protein added on the side? Just wondering, because I have never met a muffin that could fill me up for more than 15 minutes!! :)

1. I made a batch of these this weekend and have been eating them as my M2 – they’re deliciously dense (kinda like a bran muffin) and surprisingly filling!

2. HI! If you are still wondering I am assuming this recipe is 1 muffin for meal 1 or 2. I think so because it says 12 servings and when I make them I get 12 pretty large muffins!

4. Katherine Thousand says:

5. Brittany White says:

I have searched and searched and can’t find chia anywhere. Nor can I find flax seeds or hemp seeds. I do my grocery shopping at wal-mart or publix and I can’t find them……

1. Lauren De Wees says:

You can buy both from Amazon if you can’t find them at your local stores.

2. Nashely Mtz says:

I usually find Chia seeds in Marshalls or TJMaxx

3. Look in the natural, organic, or gluten free sections. Bob’s Red Mill has bags of all of them. I have found chia at every single one of my grocery stores…ground flax (flaxmeal) is easier to find than the full seeds, and hemp is usually at nutrition or vitamin stores.

4. Sarah Smith says:

I find ground flax at publix near the rice, oddly enough. I’m not sure about the chia or hemp seeds, but they’re just a quick order away on amazon or vitacost :)!

5. Katie Ross says:

I usually find chia seeds and flax seeds in the produce section with the publix brand nuts, dried fruits, trail mix, etc. You know, the little clear plastic containers…

6. Guest says:

GNC sells chia seeds now! Also Whole Foods? Or Trader Joes? I’m guessing you’re in florida by the publix reference so also check in the fresh fruit area, in the clear boxes they sometimes have flax seeds whole there.

7. Karyn Bragman says:

Target sells little bags of black chia seeds! Even the stores with small grocery sections.

6. Lindsay Mastrippolito says:

Can I use spelt or coconut flour for the oat flour?

1. toneitupcom says:

We haven’t tried using other types of flours. Spelt may work, however coconut flour reacts differently and will likely make the recipe need adjustments ;) If you vary the recipe, let us know how it works! xoxo

1. Elin Lund says:

Instead of oat flour I used the same amount of buckwheat flour and it worked perfectly! Nutritious AND gluten-free :)

1. toneitupcom says:

that sounds great!! Love buckwheat! We used gluten free oats for the oat flour to make it gluten free ;)

2. Molly Orr says:

I tried it with coconut flour and it turned out horrible! The muffins did not rise at all and the coconut flour is the only thing I changed. Stick with some type of oat flour :)

7. Julie Maybee says:

What can you use instead of greek yogurt? I’m dairy-free! :-)

1. toneitupcom says:

Although we haven’t tried it, you could probably skip it, and add a more almond milk :)

1. Christina says:

I made these last night, but didn’t realize I was out of Greek yogurt until I already started the recipe. I subbed an equal amount of applesauce for the Greek yogurt and they came out wonderfully!

2. Mary says:

Oh wow, this may sound stupid but I never realized greek yogurt contains dairy… hahaha! I’m sensitive to lactose but never had any issues. I believe I’ve heard of dairy-free yogurt. Maybe it’s worth a shot? I heard Silk offers one!

1. Hey Mary! Yogurt has so many good bacterias and a live cultures in it that my gastroenterologist told me that it may not irritate a lactose intolerance. If it doesn’t bother you, you are probably in the clear!

2. Laura says:

There are several non-dairy yogurts out there, even some non-dairy greek style ones…I’ve seen the Silk, Almond Dream, So Delicious brands…so soy, almond, and coconut milk based, respectively! They can be pricey though, just FYI.

3. Acushla-Tara Sutton says:

I know you can get coconut yoghurt in some supermarkets, it’s a bit pricey but delicious, it might work just as well x

4. Alisha says:

What about a soy yogurt by silk? It’s dairy free. I don’t personally do soy but I know I saw some at my grocery store in the organic area Friday.

1. toneitupcom says:

Sounds yummy! We haven’t tried it, but it could possibly work ;)

8. Prei says:

Just took these from the oven and they are delicious! I forgot to add oil though but they seem fine without it too!

Thank you!

1. Sarah S says:

Thank you for sharing a picture!! These look delicious!

1. Prei says:

You are welcome! These are delicious and I can’t believe I could make my own oat flour.

2. toneitupcom says:

wow, Prei! These look great! Upload your pic to instagram, we’d love to feature you! #TIULoveYourBody

9. Emily Winters says:

Has anyone tried adding protein powder in place for some of the oat flour?

10. Lorraine says:

OMgosh! Be careful if you want to print this… I pushed the little printer button above the recipe and it printed out on 9 pages :( Will print again by copying and pasting the recipe onto a word doc or body of an email, I like to have the printed recipe to tuck away for frequent use… can’t wait to try these!

11. gaby guajardo says:

i didnt receive the new edition plan and i have been a emmeber since june 2013

12. gaby guajardo says:

i didnt receive the new plan and i have been a member since junee 2013

13. KristenSC says:

Can I substitute coconut milk or something else for almond milk? I have a nut allergy unfortunately!

1. toneitupcom says:

yes! You definitely could use another type of milk. Coconut would work great ;)

14. Tashi Lhamo says:

What can I substitute for eggs, I’m vegan.

1. Leslie says:

See my comment above. I used Ener G egg replacer and they turned out great!

2. I tried it with 3 flax eggs and it worked out perfectly! In fact, I like the vegan version way better than the regular one 😊 Somehow they are much more moist with the flax eggs 👌🏻

15. Jess says:

Hi girls could you do a vegan version of this recipe? or maybe do a few more vegan dessert recipes? Thanks love you! xx

16. Leslie says:

I veganized these by using Ener-G egg replacer for the 3 eggs, adding a scoop of protein powder to make up for the missing protein from the eggs, and I used unsweetened coconut milk yogurt. They turned out great!

1. Laura says:

Thanks for posting – I was wondering about vegan substitutions! You had the same ideas as me, but I didn’t think to add protein powder. Great idea!

1. Leslie says:

I was worried that adding the protein powder would make the muffins too dry but it was fine, you should give it a try! I had to bake them 23 min instead of 20 to get the centers fully cooked, but I live at high altitude in Montana so that might be why.

17. Emily says:

Hello! I was curious if there was anything to substitute for the pitted dates? Can you just double the banana?

1. toneitupcom says:

You could try doubling the banana, or using prunes ;) We haven’t tried it, but it should still work.

18. Katie says:

I made these today and they were delicious! I used one cup of the ground oats and one cup of spelt flour and they came out perfectly. They are very moist and look similar to the picture so at least one cup of spelt flour shouldn’t cause any issues!

19. Karyn Bragman says:

How many are we allowed to eat at M1 or M2 if they are regular muffin size? Also I’d like to plug them into my fitness pal to track calorie intake – can you give us a rough estimate of calories K&K?

1. Alisha says:

I made them this morning and ate one with half a banana for meal 2. I plugged the ingredients into my fitness pal and for my batch that made 17 standard size muffins they are 170 calories each. I followed the recipe exactly. They are delicious :)

2. M says:

Would love to know from K & K, how many are advisable to eat if for M1 or M2 :)

20. Alisha says:

These were AMAZING! Thanks for another keeper recipe :)

21. Marie says:

Just took out my first batch! They look/smell amaazing. Is the serving size one muffin? My batch made more than 12. Also wondering what other people are asking, can we have one of these for M1 or M2, or should we be adding something on the side?
    ps- coffee grinder was a great suggestion for making the oat flour! Easy to make and easy clean up!
    Thank youu!!

1. M says:

Also keen to know the answer to the question about M1 and M2 in relation to these muffins :)

22. aliwos says:

you can add spinach to these and make them even healthier! i wanted to make this recipe but didn’t have a lot of the ingredients so i went on pinterest and found a spinach banana muffin recipe. it was fairly similar to this — just pack spinach into a measuring cup until you get 1 1/2 cups and blend it up along with the other ingredients! it’s tasteless!

23. kaj c says:

My muffins have been in the oven for30 mins now and my knife still isn’t coming out clean but i really don’t want them to burn, had anyone else’s been like this? X

1. kaj c says:

There was so much mixture so I’ve put the second batch in a cake tin… but it looks pretty dry :( i was so looking forward to these as well :(

24. Teagan Cairns says:

Just made a batch of these, they were looking good in the oven and when i took them out but they slowly started to sink and were quite dense. Followed the recipe so I’m not sure what was wrong maybe i should’ve added more flour? Still taste delicious but not nice and fluffy.

1. Ashley Beaty says:

The same thing happened to mine and I don’t understand why. I am usually a great baker too!

25. Laura S. says:

Has anyone tried adding protein powder to this recipe? If you did, did they turn out? How much did you add?
    xo, Laura

26. Angela Adams says:

I made these last night. I followed the recipe and ended up with A LOT of batter. I filled 2 muffin pans (12 muffins total) all the way to the top (even though the directions said not to do this) and baked them for 30 minutes rather than 20. Fortunately, they turned out GREAT! My husband loves them, too. I am loving the chia seeds!!! Thank you for the recipe. Next time I am going to use the apple bananas that we have here in Hawaii – they are so sweet and will be sooo good with this recipe.

1. Stephanie Swaim says:

Apple bananas???? WHAT?! I want to try those!

27. Reeb says:

Hi K and K! I’m wondering what everyone seems to be asking …The muffins are approved for M1 and M2 but how many can you have at that meal? Or Do you eat it with a piece of fruit?

1. M says:

Yes, also interested to know the answer to this! :)

2. I believe the recipe says 1serving per meal (m1 or m2), one muffin is one serving. Hope it helps

28. Johanna Hartford says:

I can’t say enough about these! I absolutely love them. I work at an Inn and we have a bakery “scrap bucket” hanging around all day from breakfast and it is SO hard not to indulge. These make me feel like I can have what I’m really craving, but without the guilt! (I’ll admit, I do add a handful of chocolate chips to the batter ;))

29. kirty mody says:

Would coconut yogurt work instead of greek yogurt?

30. kirty mody says:

Are they supposed to be quite soft inside?

31. Andrea says:

What about for Vegans? Could I use Flax Egg in place of the eggs or since there are Chia Seeds in the batter could I just omit eggs all together? I know I could use coconut yogurt at least ;)

1. Bailey says:

I tried using flax egg in place of egg and they turn out just as good as when i used egg!

32. Roxana Munoz says:

Just made these delicious Banana Chia Seed muffins for my hubby and I! Delicious and filling with a cup of hot coffee and almond milk. #TIULoveYourBody

33. Guest says:

Is there any way to make these vegan? Any ideas to substitute the yogurt or eggs?

34. nora says:

could you use perfect fit instead of the oat flour?

35. Dana says:

Wondering if you could freeze these if you aren’t going to eat all 12 in 4 days??

36. sabrina says:

this is probably a lame question but if i didn’t add dates would it totally ruin the recipe? i’m allergic :(

37. Mariah says:

Is it okay to leave out the chia seeds, or what could I replace them with?

38. Danny says:

I made these with soy flour instead of oat flour, prunes instead of dates, soy milk instead of almond milk and got was able to make 24 muffins. I did use a mixer so maybe they were less dense? Don’t know. They are perfect for breakfast though.

39. Delish! I made this with the following additions: scoop of protein powder, half cup (ish) crushed walnuts, threw in a box of raisons instead of dates, and apple sauce instead of greek yogurt (all because of what I had available)…needed to bake for 23 minutes but they are very, very good! Thanks K&K!

40. Hi, I just made these muffins for the 1st time. Didn~t come out fuffly but they are delicious!!

Does anyone? @perfectfit, @toneitup @karenakatrina know their nutritional value? calories, etc …. I introduced the recipe in to my fitness pal, but I can~t believe that one has 300cal ….. Help?