Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars!

INGREDIENTS

• 1

can chickpeas, drained (16 oz)

• 3/4

tsp. baking soda

• 1

tsp. baking powder

• 1 1/2

cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 ° degrees. Spray a 9x9 pan with coconut oil spray. You can also use a 9x13, but if you want thicker, gooier brownies, the smaller works best!
STEP 2: Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor (except for the chocolate chips) and blend until smooth. Add chocolate chips to the batter and mix with a wooden spatula, being careful of the blade. Pour into baking pan and sprinkle with a few more chocolate chips on top.
STEP 3: Bake for 45 to 60 minutes depending on what size dish you are using. You'll know they are done when the top is slightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow bars to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

AUTHOR NOTES

If you're the kind of girl who can't decide between a cookie or a brownie, we have the perfect combination for you.

1. Afton Baird says:

These look AMAZING. I’ll definitely make this this weekend! Thanks K&K!

1. Afton Baird says:

my batter didn’t come out nearly as thin as the photo though. :( My blender sounded like it was having a tough time lol. They’re cooking right now so hopefully they still taste good!

2. Chelsea says:

You read my mind!!! I’m wandering around my house this minute trying to eat healthy snacks, but sweets are on my mind! Thanks for this weekend’s treat! :-)

1. Diya says:

Chelsea I’m the same! Day before I ended up making a way too indulgent mug cake, and yesterday I bought a patisserie in anticipation of the post dinner chocolate craving! So good to have this recipe on hand for future cravings!

3. Lindsay says:

Can I eat this in the afternoon? Also wondering about the frisky fall quinoa muffins and the choc. zucchini bread. The cold weather is making me a fiend for carbs in the afternoon, but I want to stay on track!! Haalp.

1. Katrina says:

It says, above, that these are great for in the afternoon or after dinner. And I would say the quinoa muffins are okay for afternoon. I don’t see anything that wouldn’t be allowed after noon. As for the zucchini bread, I made mine with pumpkin puree instead of greek yogurt, so those would be okay anytime of the day. If you make it with the yogurt you might want to eat them before 3p. :)

2. toneitupcom says:

These flourless cookie bars are #TIUApproved in the afternoon ~ as a once in a while treat! Stick to just 1 or 2 squares :) Same with the zucchini bread.

4. Marshmallow says:

This recipe looks awesome! Can chickpea flour be used in place of the chickpeas? If so, how much? Thanks!

1. toneitupcom says:

Ohh… that’s a good question! It could work, but we haven’t tried it. Let us know ;) xoxo

5. Katrina says:

THANK YOU! :) I’m making these now!! A way to a TIU girls heart is CHOCOLATE and making it healthy ;) love you girls so much! xxo

1. toneitupcom says:

<3 Let us know how they turn out for you!! xoxo

1. Katrina says:

Thanks!!! I made them and the kids and hubby are OBSESSED!!! I’ll make more tomorrow because the batch I just made are already half gone :) Just made a post on IG (@katrina_tiu) to advertise this amazing creation! It’s a new family FAVORITE!! :)

1. Maevy says:

Followed ingredients exactly but batter was super thick, I had to add some almond milk to make it smoother, and then they weren’t as thick even in a 9×9 pan. Any useful tips?

1. Katrina says:

I’m sure the almond milk made the bars a lot thinner… And that’s why they didn’t turn out like the photo -The batter was pretty thick for me, like a brownie batter..? Did you forget the baking powder & soda? Try it again without any almond milk and see how they bake. :) let me know !

2. Maecy says:

Followed everything exact but it eas wayyyy thick. Thicker than a brownie batter for sute. Were your chickpeas 16 oz AFTER they were drained?

3. Katrina says:

I’m not sure what the issue is.. Did you bake them ? How’d they turn out ? I used a 16oz can of chickpeas

4. Maecy says:

Sigh… I have no idea. They were delicious! I’ll try again next week and hope they rise a but more! Thanks!

6. Serenity says:

how many calories is it? would love to know the nutrition facts :D

1. Katherine Thousand says:

Yet another late reply – use MY Fitness Pal (the website is way easier to use for this!) and just make a new recipe! You enter in all the ingredients and just write how many servings if made… Like if you plan to cut it into 15 pieces, write 15 servings. It’ll tell you exactly how many calories there are AND give you the full nutritional breakdown.

7. Nicole Jauregui says:

Yummy! What can we replace the cocunut sugar with?

1. Madalyn says:

I’d say sugar in the raw or something like that, they have the same kind of texture! But you can get coconut sugar at Trader Joes, TJmaxx, Whole Foods, etc :)

2. Katherine Thousand says:

Late response… lol… I would just use brown sugar if that’s what you have on hand. The texture is similar :)

8. Shannon says:

What can we use instead of almond butter? There’s a nut allergy in the house!

1. Katrina says:

Have you ever tried sunflower seed butter? I’ve heard it’s a great alternative.. at the school I teach the kids can’t have nut butters in their lunches so some parents use that, instead.

1. Brittney says:

Just be careful when baking with it, I think it only happens when you use egg, but I made cookies with it and they turned green lol

2. Marissa Leatherwood says:

My husband also has a nut allergy so it stinks b/c a lot of these recipes call for nuts or peanut butter. But I do use sunflower and soybutter instead or I had read somewhere you can use tahini in place of peanutbutter

1. Cristy says:

What about coconut oil? Maybe half the amount? I don’t know-just an idea. Coconut oil and protein powder?

9. Meri says:

Just an FYI these are not vegan b/c they have chocolate chips in them, which has milk, which is an animal product, hence not vegan since the definition is no animal products!! Just wanted to put it out there b/c if someone has a milk allergy they would get sick if someone served it as vegan. If you used carob chips or something non dairy then it would be vegan. Some people follow special diets, including myself, so its important to get the labeling right!! But I still love u guys!! Just trying to help!! :)

1. Lucymaybe says:

You can get vegan chocolate chips, made of dairy-free dark chocolate – I have some in my cupboard right now :) Maybe the recipe should note something about it though, to be clear.

2. Tasha Rose Hall says:

Use ‘beyond’ chocolate chips. They are vegan :)

3. Cassandra Lyons says:

Trader Joes has dairy free chocolate chips too :-)

10. Lauren says:

Just pulled these bad boys out of the oven, and WOW does the house smell good. The husband even seems interested, and he is not one to sacrifice when it comes to his baked goods. We’ll see what he thinks!

11. Jenny Jones says:

I can’t wait to try these, they look amazing! x

12. Kajsa says:

I was thinking of using raw cacao nibs instead of chocolate chips. Anybody who has tried that? You think it would work? :)

13. Nikki says:

I tried making these this weekend and they did not turn out for some reason :( They were very oily and bubbling when I took them out of the oven. Any ideas where I went wrong?

14. Tasha Rose Hall says:

Mmmmmm These were divine. So suprised as they have chickpeas in them but they are amazing. Thanks ladies. Every recipe you give to us TIU girls is always amazing. I don’t think theres one recipe that ive not liked and I’ve made a lot of your recipes. You are geniuses. :D

15. Jennifer Clark says:

Smelled so goooood while cooking but turned out very crumbly. They don’t hold together like the ones pictured. Bummer as the batter is quite yummy. Not sure why : (

1. Cristy says:

Could be the kind of peanut butter you used. I used half PB2 and water and half Natural Skippy in mine. Turned out great and held together fine. EDIT: I forgot the recipe called for almond butter…I didn’t have any on hand so I used peanut butter instead and they were delicious.

1. toneitupcom says:

This recipe will yield about 18 one inch squares! 1 serving = 2-3 bars.

16. Erin says:

Any one try a sugar-free version of this? Maybe with banana or apple sauce? Wondering about the texture. Thank you!!

1. Koni says:

Have you tried it? I’d like to know as well:)

1. Erin says:

I haven’t. But now that I’m looking back on it, I wish I had. Maybe I’ll give that a whirl this week. If you beat me to it, let me know what you think?

17. portiawestesen says:

Can you substitute honey if you don’t have coconut sugar on hand?

18. Jillian says:

These are REALLY good. I even caught my boyfriend (who is against any and all healthy desserts) sneaking a few pieces. I used 1/2 a cup of almond butter with 1/4 cup of peanut butter and they turned out delicious!

19. Laura says:

I just made these using PB instead of almond butter and maple syrup
    instead of coconut sugar. They are DELICIOUS! I might need to hide them
    from myself before my friends come over so I don’t eat the whole
    platter.

20. Sarah says:

I made these last night and they were AMAZING. my whole house smelled like chocolate chip cookies and my husband couldn’t even tell that they were healthy!

21. Tiffany says:

Can these be frozen to make them last longer?

1. Ange says:

Did you ever find out?
      I think I will try freezing one and see how it works….

1. tiffany says:

I froze them and took out the ones I planned to eat the next day! Worked fine :)

1. Ange says:

Thanks for letting me know! I never got around to freezing mine, They didn’t last long enough. Next time, I don’t think I will let anyone else know I made them, and hide them in the freezer! ;)

22. Sydney says:

Tried making these just now and my food processor had such a hard time trying to blend everything that it started to smoke :(
    Maybe the order of ingredients matter.

1. Ange says:

I don’t think the order matters. I made these the other day and I just plopped everything in mine, I think I did it in the order that the recipe lists them. It may be time to upgrade your processor?

2. I think the type of almond butter matters. The types that separate seem to have more of a goopy texture overall, so I think it makes the batter more goopy. I used maranantha (sp?) and since it’s no-stir, this batch was much thicker than the last batch. So if I use that brand again, I’m going to puree the chickpeas first, then add everything else. Probably will just suck it up and buy some better almond butter though, I finally read the back and it has added sugar. Good luck girl!

23. Caroline says:

These are SO good! I ended up using peanut butter instead of almond butter because it’s what I had on hand and with the drought in California, I’m trying to avoid buying almond products. I also used jumbo chocolate chips that were mostly Cacao and wow, these were so good. My boyfriend had absolutely no idea there were chickpeas involved in this recipe, I’m not sure he would have eaten them if he knew, but he was loving these with peanut butter ice cream (he’s not trying to get in shape). As a chocolate lover, this recipe is definitely approved!

24. heather says:

So i see a lot of girls who are chunky but not like anything 200+ does this plan work for girls like me who have 100lbs or more to loose?

1. It works for everybody, it is designed specifically for women. Your body will respond really well to taking in really healthy food.

25. My whole family loves them and I cut them into really small squares and freeze them for little one bite treats (no need to defrost they are edible straight out of the freezer) – also putting them in the freezer keeps them off the counter and away from mindless snacking or over-indulging :)

26. I made these two nights ago, and had to put most of them in the freezer because I could NOT stop snacking on them!! I used a Breville food processor, which handled everything well. Yes, the batter was very thick, like brownie batter, and I had to sort of smooth it down into the pan. But they turned out gooey and delicious just like the picture. Thanks K&K!!

27. This is a recipe I come back to time and time again, I have some in the oven right now! YUM!

28. Just found these! I am making them tonight! Perfect for when I want something sweet at the office but don’t want to touch all the cake, cookies & candy!

29. So, this is really strange. I just made these for the second time. The first time, they were perfect. The batter was just right, thick, yet easy to pour. This time. I spent a really long time blending and could not get it smooth for anything! Both times I followed the exact instructions. I’m just wondering if it’s the brand of chickpeas. It’s the only thing that could be different for me! I used Dakota this time… no idea what I had last time- but I wish I did!

30. Just made these again, a double batch to take in to my classmates for finals week. Still my favorite TIU dessert! A few pointers for people having trouble:
    1. I don’t think we’re supposed to rinse the chickpeas, just drain of excess moisture. That extra filmy stuff will break down and help the batter hold together like it does for chili (I think).
    2. By having two different brands of almond butter on hand, I was able to compare and contrast. Pretty sure if it’s no-stir, it’s going to be really tough on your food processor. The types you have to stir are way more liquid-y, even after a hearty stir, at least the Simple Truth one is. Also, the no-stir will typically have added sugar, which is why it holds together.
    3. Although it says food processor or blender, I don’t think this is a blender-friendly recipe. It doesn’t get liquid-y enough to move down like you’d need it to in a blender. I don’t have a vitamix so maybe if you have a crazy powerful blender you could still do it.
    4. This recipe freezes well.
    5. If you’re worried about your food processor handling all this, try pureeing the chickpeas first then adding everything else, that’s my plan for next time.

31. OMG! I just made this…FANTASTIC!!!! My whole family loves it! Blown away how good these are! Wow! (I used carob chips because we are vegan and peanut butter because husband is obsessed with PB)

32. Used the exact ingredients and followed directions and came out perfect every time I made them. Also made a tray for work and the ones who tried it loved it. They were surprised by the fact it was made from chickpeas.