Are you ready for the upcoming Thanksgiving feast!?
This holiday is about being surrounded by loved ones, gathering around delicious food and feeling grateful for all of the blessings in our lives. Focusing on gratitude for even the simplest things like the gorgeous autumn sunsets is so energizing. This time of year reminds us to be truly thankful for everything big and small. Show us your pics with #TIUthanksgiving :)
If you’re on the search for some healthy inspiration, we’re sharing a few of our tried-and-true favorite dishes. Not only are these healthy and completely Tone It Up approved, they are crowd pleasers your whole family will love! And if you’re wondering how to stay on track this year, don’t worry! We’re also sharing our 7 Secrets to Safe Splurging below… and be on the lookout!!!! For any of you that have been thinking about joining the Nutrition Program and current members of the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan… Cyber Monday is around the corner and we have some AHHMAZING surprises coming :)
What are you making this year? Share your photos on Instagram & Twitter with the hashtag #TIUTeam & #TIUThanksgiving!
SWEET AND SAVORY PUMPKIN SOUP
Featured from the Frisky Fall Edition of your Tone It Up Nutrition Plan!
- 2 Cups of Pumpkin Purée
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk, unsweetened
- ½ Cup Vegetable Stock
- OPTIONAL: 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 Cup Carrots, chopped
- 2 Tbs Honey or 2 Tbs Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch all spice
- pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 whole clove of Garlic
- Optional: Add tempeh, ground turkey or chicken
Add all ingredients to your slow cooker (including chicken or turkey, if using). Set it on low to medium heat for 6-8 hours. When you come home, you’ll have a warm, comforting pumpkin soup waiting for you! If using tempeh, warm up and add immediately before serving. Serve with 5 pecans on top!
GLUTEN FREE STUFFING
- 12 cups Crustless Gluten-Free Bread, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Organic Applesauce
- 3 cups Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 3 cups Celery, diced celery
- 3/4 cups Chives, diced
- 4 Egg Whites, mixed
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup Chicken Broth (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 3 Granny Smith Apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries, sliced
- 4 Tsp Cinnamon (if using a Cinnamon Raisin Bread)
Lay out cubed bread into 2 large baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cubes are dry but not browned. While the bread is cooling, sauté onions and celery in oil for 10 minutes over medium low heat. You want the onions to be tender, but not brown. Add herbs to vegetables and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
Place dried bread into a mixing bowl, add vegetables, herbs & applesauce and stir to mix. Pour egg-whites into mixture and mix. Add salt and pepper and stir to mix. Next, add broth and stir to thoroughly combine all ingredients. If the stuffing is too dry, add more broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, do not overdo the broth or the stuffing will become soggy & mushy.
Transfer stuffing to a 13×9 inch baking dish (sprayed with organic non-stick spray) and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
OPTIONAL ~Top with thinly sliced Granny Smith Apples & Dried Cranberries, sprinkle with Cinnamon.
PECAN MAPLE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- 6 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbs. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Tbs. Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Pecans, (crushed or whole)
- 2 Tbs. real Honey
- 1 Tbs. Cinnamon
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add cubed sweet potatoes. Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes have softened. Drain the sweet potatoes and place back in the pot. Add almond milk, maple syrup, oil and spices and mash or whip with a mixer until a smooth even consistency has been reached. Season with fresh ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt to taste.
In a separate bowl, mix together pecans, honey and cinnamon until the pecans are completely covered. If you want a more crumbly topping, crush the pecans using a food processor before mixing with honey and cinnamon.
Coat a baking dish with organic cooking spray. Evenly spread the mashed sweet potatoes in the dish. Top with honey pecan blend. Place in oven preheated to 350° degrees for 25 minutes.
FRUIT INFUSED CRANBERRY SAUCE
Not only are cranberries a tradition, but they are also a natural superfood packed with nutrients and antioxidants to enrich your body.
- 12 oz. – 1 lbs. Fresh Cranberries
- 1 Cup of Pears (or apples) Skinned, cored and diced.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Natural Real Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- Juice from 1 Orange
- 1 tsp. Orange Zest
Rinse cranberries and place in a pot on the stove over high heat with the water. Add diced pears and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, add remaining ingredients except the orange zest.
The berries will begin to burst, thickening the mixture into a sauce. Stir frequently. Once all the berries have burst reduce to a simmer. Add in orange zest and continue stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes. Cover sauce and chill in the freezer for several hours before serving.
A few more favorites from the most recent Frisky Fall Edition that we’re making this year…
BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH ORANGE QUINOA!
PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!
7 Thanksgiving Secrets to Safe Splurging
The best way to beat stress this week is to stay positive and fill your heart with the love and gratitude of the season!
1. It’s okay to splurge now and then. Yes! If you’re sticking to your Tone It Up Lifestyle, staying consistent with workouts, you have wiggle room to enjoy yourself and indulge here and there!
2. Don’t let the holiday throw you off track. A splurge is fine. But make sure it stays just that… a splurge. Don’t let yourself fall into the mental trap of giving up on everything you’ve worked so hard for because you took it easy for a day or two.
3. Portion Size Matters. You can sample a little bit of all the tasty treats on your Thanksgiving table without going overboard. Serve out a small portion of the things that look the best. Going back for seconds is okay! Taking a little bit of time between servings will make it easier to choose reasonable serving sizes based on how hungry you actually are instead how hungry you think you are.
4. Quality Counts! If you are preparing the meal or bringing a dish to someone else’s, try to make it something healthy and filling so you know you have at least one option to rely on. If this isn’t an option, just go for larger portions of nutrient dense foods like turkey and veggies, and just sample the richer dishes.
5. Don’t fast for the feast. We want you to eat! Not eating all day before a big meal will actually cause your body to store the fat from the foods when you finally do eat. Not to mention that you’ll be way more hungry and craving larger portions! Instead, stick to small, nutrient dense meals throughout the day including greens, lean protein, fruit and a bit of healthy fats. This ensures you get the fuel you need without going overboard come dinnertime.
6. Walk it off. Thanksgiving morning is a great time for a BOOTY CALL!!! If you are running in a Turkey Trot you’ve already got this covered. If not? No problem. Go for a walk in the morning before cooking gets underway and family time makes getting in that workout impossible. Remember that Black Friday shopping is also a great way to burn calories too!
7. Enjoy yourself! Above all this is the time of year for enjoyment and gratitude. Avoid stressing out about what your eating for the day. Think ahead and try to make reasonable choices, but if something looks really good… have a bite!
Join the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan NOW and immediately receive the newest Frisky Fall Edition ~ perfect for Thanksgiving!
Karena and I put together our favorite autumn inspired dishes and are so excited to share them with you! This time of year is so special. From crisp mornings, blazing orange sunsets, pumpkin flavored everything and beautiful changing leaves, this season can truly be seen and felt!
If you’re not a member of Tone It Up, join NOW! As a member of the plan, you receive all future Special Editions like this one for free along with exclusive weekly newsletters, Q&As, member spotlights and more!!!
Happy Holidays :)