10 Immunity Boosting Foods
Katrina and I love this festive season! There are so many fun, holiday inspired get togethers happening, but with all the merry cheer, keeping your immune system strong is essential!
Staying active by following your Weekly Schedule helps a lot — regular exercise can help reduce stress which can contribute to keeping you healthy overall, but eating the right foods is a huge part of it as well!
Today we’re excited to share Lauren Conrad’s 10 Immune Boosting foods, along with how these ingredients can keep you feeling amazing all season.
Here’s what she has to say:
If you put good things into your body, you will be rewarded with good things in return and today I’m teaching you a lesson in foods that keep you healthy from the inside out — otherwise known as foods that boost the immune system. 1. Yogurt is a natural probiotic, which means it replaces all the good bacteria in your system. Studies have shown that including probiotics can lessen sick days. Eat up!
2. Garlic contains an ingredient called allicin, which fights infection and bacteria. Eating these cloves raw has shown to decrease the chances of catching a cold.
3. Chicken soup (yep, chicken soup!) helps to reduce inflammation and thin mucus the same way cough medicines do, according to a study from the University of Nebraska. The amino acid cysteine, which is found in chicken broth, is similar to a chemical in an antibiotic that fights bronchitis. Now that’s chicken soup for the soul.
4. Tea, which is quite a soothing remedy for a sore throat, also doubles as a virus fighter. Both green & black tea also contains antioxidants which are great for your health overall. According to Prevention.com, a Harvard study shows that people who drank 5 cups of black tea for 2 weeks had more of the immune boosting protein interferon in their blood than those who didn’t.
5. Mushrooms promote white blood cell production, which helps your body fight off infections. According to the director of the Institute of Herbal Medicine, people have been using mushrooms as immune boosters for centuries.
6. Strawberries, like citrus, come packed with vitamin C—a common cold remedy most people turn to when they start feeling sick. Vitamin C fights viruses before you even get sick, it also breaks down stress hormones. Whipping up a strawberry orange smoothie for breakfast is a great way to start your day. Your Tone It Up Get Well Smoothie is also a great recipe to keep in mind for whenever you need a tasty boost.
7. Brussels sprouts help nourish the thymus gland, which controls much of your immune system function. Eat two servings a day of these beta-carotene rich sprouts for optimal health.
8. Oatmeal is not only a great comfort food when you’re under the weather, it’s also chock-full of beta-glucan, which has antimicrobial and antioxidant capabilities that are as strong as those found in Echinacea. Eat your oatmeal (or whip up some of my favorite overnight oats) and you will notice wounds healing faster and antibiotics working better.
9. Carrots, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash are members of the beta carotene-rich family. Beta carotene increases the number of infection-fighting cells and it’s a powerful antioxidant that helps eliminates free radicals. According to Dr. Sears, studies have shown that beta-carotene can also lower the risk of heart disease.
10. Dark chocolate—get excited chocolate lovers—is one of the best sources of zinc, which will decrease your risk of infection and promote the growth of white blood cells. Buy a dark chocolate bar if you’re taking a sick day, and treat yourself to a square or two. Just make sure you buy it unsweetened, because extra sugar surely won’t help a cold.
Thanks for sharing this awesome list of immune boosting foods Lauren! We love knowing that some of our Tone It Up Nutrition Plan approved favorites like Brussels Sprouts, Greek Yogurt and Dark Chocolate are also great to keep us healthy this time of year!
Find many more delicious recipes and learn how to fuel your body to stay energized on your Tone It Up Nutrition Plan!
Learn more about the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan here ~ We want YOU to be our next Tone It Up Girl Success Story!
Your trainers ♥